The final run back to Brinklow, not far but it was the Day of the Storm, as forecast. In addition we could not get going until just before 10 am with the three Hillmorton Locks locked overnight until then.
Whilst it has not been as ferocious a day as we were led to expect, it was still quite wet at times and windy, with combined effect making everything feel raw.
A lock keeper arrived at the top lock well before the due time but was disinclined to open up before the schedule. However, with about ten minutes still to go, he had a phone call with the volunteers at the bottom and learned that there was a queue building there so it was decided that since everyone was in place and ready, it made sense to remove the locks straightaway!
We came down the flight quite speedily, helped by the fact they were all full. Only the middle lock was down to us although a volunteer arrived as we were just about to leave. If here is a vollie anywhere then it will be at the bottom and indeed so. In addition Mike spotted a colleague waterways chaplain. It transpired that she was in her chaplain's gilet as an experiment but really was on the next boat waiting to ascend. It was good to have the chance encounter as we do not often meet another chaplain when we ourselves are cruising.
Whilst Mike and Andrew brought the boat down the flight. Christine went to chat to the staff at the boatyard alongside the lower flight pound. We are in the process of planning blacking for the boat in the new year and also we want to sort out the oven which has now given up staying alight for more than two minutes at a time. He asked us to send a photo of the serial number plate so that he can investigate what options we might have given that the model is at least ten years old and obsolescence looms everywhere these days. Are spares available? We arranged that as soon as we were tied up on our pontoon! It will be good to have these tasks booked in as soon as possible. Enquiries are in hand.
Level water now for the rest of the trip but as we set off a light drizzle generally made itself known, even if the main storm seems to have passed us just to the south.
But the conditions did not make for good photography, nor is the rain much good for the camera so only a couple of miserable pix today. This one is of Kents Road Bridge, the first after leaving Hillmorton.
On the outskirts of Rugby we passed the base for Clifton Hire Boats. Most of their fleet seem to be 'in' for the winter now, although we did spot at least one yesterday. In common with most hire bases alongside the canal, there is usually little more than a boat width available. Good ting that the wide beams that are allowed to navigate between Braunston and Barby Moorings (including Dunchurch Pools Marina) are forbidden from coming this way (actually the narrowness of Hillmorton Locks generally keeps them away! But you know what wide beams are like these days)
We continued on, passing through the short Newbold Tunnel before arriving at the turn for the marina, on what was once the contour route. We pulled up at the service point and marina office (Christine had already advised them that we were expecting to get here today) We were very cheerfully greeted as we had been in frequent touch over the past few weeks as closures and plans kept changing,
The staff were a bit busy at first but we wanted to fill the diesel tank for the winter so we stayed there and had lunch.
By the time we were filled up the weather was farther less pleasant but the wind was at least in a friendly direction for us making the reverse turn onto our mooring (we are back where we were last winter!)
Of course, our car was still at White Mills but Andrew very kindly offered to ferry Mike back there on his way back home. We had been very glad to have his assistance as the restricted opening times at all three flights today and yesterday could easily have led to one or two extra added to the journey time if we had not been able to make such efficient progress. At least we had stocked up enough food that we did not have to go shopping en route - but a trip to a supermarket tomorrow is now looking somewhat urgent!
We are planning staying on for a few days - relaxation? - but unless the weather perks up we shall be entombed for much of it. But we did bring plenty of library books . . .
6.7 Miles - 3 Locks


No comments:
Post a Comment