Today's Navigations : River Nene, Northampton Arm, Grand Union
We set the alarm to make sure that we did not oversleep! We needed to do the usual round of rubbish and elsan disposal as well as filling the water tank before we could leave. Christine then realised that we failed to buy some more olive oil spread yesterday so she popped over to Morrisons whilst Mike was completing these tasks. On the way back she called at the marina office, mainly to hand in the gate key fob.
Mike managed to make contact with someone in the East Midlands CaRT Office to confirm that we could get through Lock 17 and, after a delay whilst she checked with other staff, we were good to go.
We disconnected the electric hook up and were soon bidding the marina farewell and speeding up the remaining part of the Nene - less than 10 minutes later we were passing the Carlsberg brewery and then turning into the Northampton Arm.
The lock was full but we could already see that the level in the first pound above the lock was low. Now on narrow locks (until we reach the Grand Union proper) we came through quite quickly and gingerly started to move forward.
Barely 50m and there was a narrows - a former bridge but now supporting a pipe bridge. Even before the bow was near that point we came to a halt and could not make our way through. We reversed off and tried again but to no avail so we had no choice but to back to the lock entrance, not even able to get to the lock landing or even the bank. Eventually we were just able to get the stern close to the edge so that we could at least tie one rope to a bollard. (Later Andrew plumbed the depth and found it to be barely two feet - 600mm)
Christine managed to get through to the East Midlands office again and they seemed to think that 'the team; were doing water management this afternoon, ahead of tomorrow's opening. We should begin to see some improvement this afternoon.
By now Andrew had arrived but when he realised that we were not going to go far today, he opted to move his car to Brinklow. We thought about moving our car - Andrew could ferry Mike to White Mills - but after much consideration we felt that this was one risk too many for today!
Still, at least we had time for one or two chores - now we are off the river we could stow away our anchor and chain. In so doing we discovered that for the second time this year (and possibly the second time for us ever) an Elsan container had sprung a leak. Before being able to stow into the bow locker Mike had first to take everything out and clear away as much of the pungent stuff as possible. Eventually all was clean and tidy!
Soon after Andrew returned - he had taken longer as a train ahead of the one he was hoping to catch from Rugby had broken down and passengers for the Northampton route were advised to go via Milton Keynes.
By now we had had two interesting conversations with a professional boat mover who is waiting on the embankment to follow us up. He understood that there were 12 - 14 boats due to transit in the next two days.
We made another attempt to get through the narrows but, if anything, the water is even lower now. In fact, for some time were were stuck fast not even able to reverse back to where we could tie up. Eventually we managed to become unstuck and so another call to CaRT.
After some time it transpired that 'the team' were not responding to their colleagues phone call and the person Christine spoke to seemed to be concerned that all the effort was going into setting up Locks 1 - 12 and no-one had thought to check the levels down the rest of the flight. We now had to resign ourselves to staying the night where we were and hoping that water was sent down overnight.
On the bright side, at least today has been dry!
0.7 Miles - 1 Lock